Areas of Focus
HSU will act to advance our distinctive vision.
- Work to more deeply ingrain our vision in our culture.
- Advance our vision in University planning and budgeting.
- Ensure that realizing our vision is consistent with our mission as a comprehensive state university providing high-quality, affordable education.
The HSU governance system — the combined decision-making structures that direct the university and its affairs — will make effective choices that sustain our common purpose and vision.
- Clarify the roles of faculty, students, staff, and administrators in the governance system.
- Streamline and coordinate governance activities.
- Structure governance to achieve University-wide priorities, particularly in curriculum oversight and budget development.
HSU will be deliberate and focused on the success of our students. We will implement the University’s Student Learning Outcomes and work to create an inclusive academic experience that welcomes and supports the success of historically under-represented students.
- Develop curriculum and co-curricular activities for achieving inclusive academic excellence and student learning outcomes.
- Develop University-wide metrics for assessing student learning outcomes and diversity within the curriculum and co-curricular activities.
- Develop and assess student retention efforts.
Culture of Evidence
HSU will adopt a continuous process of improvement. This will include planning; implementing; assessing; and modifying, as needed, based on evidence.
- Evaluate for improvement and not blame.
- Develop simple, useful metrics.
- Avoid "analysis paralysis."
- Strengthen and integrate institutional research activities.
Collegial, respectful and responsive community
HSU will cultivate a strong sense of community and foster a spirit of cooperation and collaboration across entrenched boundaries. We will encourage a new climate of respect for all members of our community.
- Focus on solutions for the University as a whole.
- Reduce bureaucratic barriers to cooperation.
- Cultivate transparent and responsive decision making.